Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Guest Post: Secrets to Successful Living from Forrest Gump

This latest guest post is by fellow nostalgia enthsuiast miratemplen of growingupgenx.blogspot.com! Be sure to check out and follow Mira's blog for even more 90s! Take it away, Miratemplen:


It gave me a jolt when someone pointed out to me that it has been 20 years since 1990. (Has it seriously been that long? Twenty years is a young adult’s whole lifetime!)

… So I’ve lived through a few decades now. As I go into another one, I think about how much things have changed in the past several years. There are some things that I miss … and quite a lot that I don’t miss at all. You can read about my musings and reminiscing in
growingupgenx.blogspot.com

That business of going in and out of different decades reminds me of this person we all met back in 1994. While history changed around him, he also changed history - that’s pretty cool, even if he is just a fictional character. There’s quite a lot of inspiration we could pick up from that guy. I mean of course the smartest dumb person the world has ever seen, from the most quotable 90s movie, Forrest Gump.


Secrets to Successful Living
as Learned from Forrest Gump

(Images and quotes property of Paramount Pictures)

My name's Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump.



1. Remember that smarts don't secure success

Stupid is as stupid does.
--------------

You have to do the best with what God gave you.
- Mrs. Gump
---------------


I’m not a smart man… but I know what love is.

- Forrest


2. Have a good mentor



Mama always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them.


3. Have people in your life who will enrich, challenge, and look out for you

Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots.




Jenny taught me how to climb. And I taught her how to dangle.

------------------


Bubba:
I'm gonna lean up against you, you just lean right back against me. This way, we don't have to sleep with our heads in the mud. You know why we a good partnership, Forrest? 'Cause we be watchin' out for one another. Like brothers and stuff. Hey, Forrest, there's somethin' I've been thinkin' about. I got a very important question to ask you. How would you like to go into the shrimpin' business with me? Forrest: Okay.


4. Seek a sense of identity and purpose

Jenny: Do you ever dream, Forrest, about who you're gonna be?
Forrest:
Who I'm gonna be?
Jenny:
Yeah.
Forrest:
Aren't I going to be me?
------------------------

Forrest: What's my destiny, Mama?
Mrs. Gump: You're gonna have to figure that out for yourself.


5. Know how to take instructions

Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest:
To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!
Drill Sergeant: God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard.



Forrest:
Lieutenant Dan was always getting these funny feelings about a rock or a trail or the road, so he'd tell us to get down, shut up.
Lieutenant Dan:
Get down! Shut up!
Forrest Gump:
So we did.


6. Have a good pair of shoes


Mama says they was magic shoes. They could take me anywhere.
------------------

My momma always said you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes, where the go, where they've been.


7. Maximize your assets
Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.


Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more.



8. Invest in something that will outlive you



Death is just a part of life. It's something we're all destined to do.
- Mrs. Gump


Jenny:
His name's Forrest.
Forrest:
Like me.
Jenny:
I named him after his daddy.
Forrest:
He got a daddy named Forrest, too?
Jenny:
You're his daddy, Forrest.


9. Be resilient

Shit happens.
---------------------

My Momma always said you’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on.
------------------




Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks.



10. Put your faith in perspective


Lieutenant Dan:
Where the Hell is this God of yours?
Forrest: It's funny Lieutenant Dan said that, 'cause right then, God showed up.


11. Keep things simple

Momma said there's only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off.
----------------------

When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go… you know… I went.


Forrest:
I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours.
Man:
Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something!
Forrest:
I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now.


13. Adopt a good attitude

Jenny: Were you scared in Vietnam?
Forrest:
Yes. Well, I don't know. Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out... and then it was nice. It was like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bayou. There was always a million sparkles on the water... like that mountain lake. It was so clear, Jenny, it looked like there were two skies one on top of the other. And then in the desert, when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven stopped and the earth began. It's so beautiful.


My Momma always said, “Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”




14. Share and inspire

Momma said there's only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off. So, I gave a whole bunch of it to the Foursquare Gospel Church and I gave a whole bunch to the Bayou La Batre Fishing Hospital. And even though Bubba was dead, and Lieutenant Dan said I was nuts, I gave Bubba's momma Bubba's share. And you know what? She didn't have to work in nobody's kitchen no more.


Forrest:
In the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.
John Lennon: No possessions?
Forrest:
And in China they never go to church.
John Lennon:
No religion too?
Dick Cavett:
Ah. Hard to imagine.
John Lennon:
Well it's easy if you try, Dick.





That’s all I have to say about that.



I hope you enjoyed revisiting some old friends from the 1990s! If you did, there are more of them (plus some stuff from the ‘80s) at growingupgenx.blogspot.com, Like, for example, Back When Everything We Needed To Know About Life We Learned In "Clueless". Have an awesome life!

Mar


Box of chocolates photo nicked from:: http://johnmuehling.wordpress.com

9 comments:

JoRay said...

I like number 4. I believe everyone should not just have a sense of identity and purpose but to "seek" for one. Good job miratemplen! :D :*

Robin said...

Great post, although I don't think that Jenny necessarily looked out for Forrest. Granted, she was a trouble and emotionally-damaged person, but she mostly went in and out of his life whenever it suited her, then went running back to him whenever he was her last resort.

shdtujuh said...

Ada pula beberapa akibat ambeien yang secara psikologi memang amat mengganggu penderita. Yaitu dengan ketakutan berlebihannya penderita saat makan yang banyak atau saat makanan pedas yang seharusnya dihindari oleh penderita. Penderita ambeien juga akan merasakan takut untuk sekadar buang air besar karena rasa sakit dan perih ketika buang air besar. Dan tentu saja anda tidak mau hal itu terjadi. Walaupun ketakutan itu juga terlihat sepele namun tetap saja akan mengganggu pada penderita ambeien tersebut. Terapi Ambeien Sudah Stadium 4 Info definisi dari penyakit mbeien serta gejala yang di rasa oleh penderita ambeien atau wasir kunjungi website
Meskipun kondisi ini biasanya tidak menyakitkan, tapi dapat menyebabkan rasa malu dan kadang-kadang ketidaknyamanan selama aktivitas seksual. Jika kita tahu bahwa penyakit ini adalah penyakit menular maka sudah seharusnya jika tidak menyembunyikan fakta tentang kutil kelamin ini pada ahli medis. Atau dalam pengertian lain bahwa untuk mendapatkan kesembuhan yang cepat, maka pengobatan yang efektif untuk kutil kelamin adalah suatu keharusan. Obat Kutil Di Alat Kelamin Pria untuk anda yang menderita penyakit sipilis dan ingin sembuh silahkan baca selengkapnya
Akibat ambeyen yang lain adalah rasa kurang percaya diri atau rasa rendah diri pada penderita ambeyen jika harus duduk berkumpul dengan teman-teman atau koleganya. Hal tersebut disebabkan sebagian penderita ambeyen merasakan seolah-olah ada yang mengganjal di bagian anus (pantat yang merupakan bagian tubuh untuk duduk adalah tempatnya anus), sehingga ia tidak bisa duduk dengan tenang dan harus sering merubah-rubah posisi duduknya untuk mendapatkan posisi yang paling nyaman. Hal tersebut bisa membuat penderita merasa malu sehingga yang bersangkutan jadi enggan bergaul dan berusaha menutup diri. http://herbalnomersatu.com/2017/01/mengobati-wasir-menahun/ untuk anda yang menderita penyakit ambeien atau wasir dan ingin sembuh silahkan lihat penjelasan selengkapnya
Berbicara tentang produk obat herbal, di jaman sekarang ini anda juga mudah menemukan pengobatan ini diberbagai klinik pengobatan herbal yang ada, atau juga dapat melalui informasi online di berbagai website kesehatan yang ada seperti milik kami ini. Sehingga jika anda ingin mencari atau menambah informasi yang lebih lengkap tentang penyakit ini, maka sering-seringlah membaca artikel-artikel kami ini. cara mengecilkan benjolan wasir Untuk informasi lebih detail tentang penyakit ambeien kunjungi sekarang

pokemon said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting.

SolitaireOnline.io
KrunkerioGame.Com
TetrisOnline.io

Roman Adam said...

Wow!! This really is an informative and helpful post and I am happy to read this.
Thanks for sharing this post!!
handbags online shopping in pakistan

Back Biller said...

We categorized all kinds of bags as per user and their need. If you are a working woman of multi facets and multi commitments; Like you are mother, working lady and a responsible house lady at the same time, then as a token of appreciation we recommend our compact, yet multi compartment bag sets. Which comes in pure faux leather Bags, canvas and rexine material with easy hybrid carry options.

Back Biller said...

The appearance of Style247 on the screen is nothing less than a breath of fresh air in the fashion industry. Here you can have your desired wonderful handbags at reasonable prices. As ladies are fond of collecting different styles and sizes of handbags, so Style247 is the right place for you, where you can easily go through all the available styles and designs of handbags online and can grab your favourite Handbag with just a single click.

RED ARROW said...

In fact, I've always been interested in looking at this from the outside, but now I'm not up to it at all. There's too much paperwork at work. It's good that I found a service for myself https://www.pandadoc.com/waiver-software/, thanks to which I was able to reduce the time for writing waiver documents.

Mobile app development company said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing with us. I would like to share information about the Android app developers in Pune. Android app developers in Pune possess a remarkable combination of expertise and precision in their craft. Armed with a comprehensive understanding of the Android operating system, these developers exhibit a profound knowledge of Java and Kotlin programming languages, the backbone of Android app development.

Digg This!